New Year’s Eve is mum’s birthday. We all get together to have a double celebration as the new year starts to set in, and this year is no exception. Personally for me 2016 has been an epic year. Video technology has radically changed the way I tutor and also how I’ve bought my music out to more people, friends in the US and cousins in India included. I’ve focused a lot more on tuition this year and most of the first half I was pretty much doing that 7 days a week. Here’s a few awesome things that happened in my life this year:
- Most successful tuition year ever. After 2015 I realised I need to move my tuition online. That I did, and it paid off as I earned more this year than I have ever earned in one year, all on my own terms doing what I love doing for “work”. It has been a real confidence builder for me. And there was one particular band gig in 2016 in which people from all aspects of my life, from tutoring, music, family to uni friends bought it home for me.
- This year I hit my 10 year anniversary of tutoring. There is a saying that overnight success takes 10 years.
- Tuition was a lonely job so I started organising meetups to meet other tutors late 2015. Within a few months I became part of some tutor Facebook groups and very quickly I launched a group video call group of my own. I now have plenty of “work colleagues” to collaborate and discuss ideas with. I also run a Facebook group and am part of a worldwide group of international online tutors. In January 2016 I barely knew any tutors, in less than 12 months I literally know tutors across the globe. It has been so awesome to chat on video to Margaret and Holly every single week since the Summer. And to have met others, special mention to Henry.
- I am now tutoring students in the US, Russia, Switzerland, Germany and the UAE.
- I re-vamped my tutoring website in January 2016 and started blogging there instead, which is why my personal blog has gone a bit quiet. It paid off as my previously static website has now become dynamic. I get customer enquiries directly from it, it is true e business now.
- I started tutoring for Dyscalculia. This has been a much harder journey than I thought it was going to be. Each student has been unique and much of the regular techniques that worked for tutoring didn’t work. Thanks to training courses, books and meeting other specialists I’m learning about this field very fast and intend to be a big contributor to it in the near future.
- Facebook Live meant I was streaming gigs to friends and family globally who have never heard me perform live. It’s been exhilarating to do this. It was 20 years ago in 1996 when I bought my first ever guitar.
- With my brother’s wedding we had the first big family event. It was a month of build up and celebration. It was a beautiful wedding, I was best man and we really partied.
- I turned 40 this year and was glad to throw a party for that.
- I got in touch with a friend that had not been in contact for 2 years. Things happen for a reason, and it has been great to be in touch again.
- It’s been 25 years since my family moved to the UK. Wow, where has that time gone?
2016 has been a real year of growth, self reassurance and knowing what I stand for and where I am going in life. 2017 is going to be even better. Happy New Year!